Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Honey Cornbread Muffins


A week or so ago I was making chili for dinner but I didn't have any bread to go with it.  My husband loves to have some kind of bread to dip into soups or stews or basically anything that has sauce.  I got my mind set on making cornbread since I haven't had it in a long time.  

The chili was cooking away on the stove, so with my husband home to make sure the house didn't catch on fire from the pot of chili, I ran to the store.  I swear, the grocery store is a nightmare around dinner time.  Either people are getting off of work and stopping at the store on their way home, or people are like me and forgot something for their dinner and make a quick trip to get their forgotten item.  

They always have like 2 or 3 cashiers at this time too.  And long lines!  You would think maybe they would plan better?  Guess not.  Now I have to say, I am lucky in that we are very close to shops around here and there are probably 6 grocery stores within a mile of this house.  And that's not a typo... Canada is crazy.  But this particular store is my favorite and they have everything I need, otherwise I would go somewhere else.  (Some grocery stores are those bargain stores, which are fine for somethings but not everything.  And there's also a Wal Mart, but that's crazy ALL the time).

Since I knew it would be very busy, I just wanted to get one of those little cornbread mixes.... They don't have them here.  Or at least I have never seen them.  (That is a whole other story about the lack of products in Canada that we have in the US)  So I settled for regular cornmeal.  After searching for it for probably 5 minutes.  Another thing... some items are in really strange places in the store.  

So I got home and needed to find a good cornbread recipe.  I just went to the Food Network and found this recipe from The Neely's.  It was SO good that I made it again with pulled pork and baked potatoes.  

I hope you like it as much as we do!

Honey Cornbread Muffins

*Makes 12 (I made a half recipe for just us!)

Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 stick melted butter (2 oz)
1/4 cup honey

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
  3. Add wet ingredients and mix until combined.
  4. Pour into sprayed nonstick muffin pans.  (You can use muffin liners but I find that too much of the cornbread sticks to the paper and these are too good to waste!)
  5. Bake 15 minutes or until golden on top!
  6. They are best served warm!









Mmm.. and yes I like a good amount of butter on mine!  

This would be such a good meal for today.  It is gloomy and rainy!  But the rain is washing away our pile of snow in the front yard!  

Hope everyone is having a great day!  I am off to bake something :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment