Every Sunday in the Fall, you can find me sitting on the couch with my Terrible Towel watching the Steelers play. I am a Pittsburgh girl and I love football. And you can't have a game day without some snacks! So I know I am a bit late as this past weekend was already week 2, but I am going to be sharing my favorite Game Day Recipes with you each week.
This weekend, the hubby had just gotten back from a work trip and Saturday was spent finishing up the kitchen. Sunday rolled around and he was run down and not feeling too great. He loves Kraft Mac 'n Cheese. And I hate it. I mean... I don't even think it tastes good, and it certainly is not good for you! It's kind of a joke around here, but anytime I am away he likes to make it. Because he knows when I am around I won't make it for him.
So when I was in the kitchen putting together these Spicy Mac 'n Cheese Cups, he yelled into the kitchen "Smells like Kraft dinner!". At that point I was just boiling the noodles, so it probably did smell like that. I just yelled back to him "You're right!" He obviously thought I was joking, so when he came into the kitchen to see the making of Mac 'n Cheese on the counter, he was very pleased. :-) Ahhh... I love being a wife!
Spicy Mac 'n Cheese Cups
makes 20-24 mini cups
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 4 1/2 oz. cheese, shredded, I used Colby Jack but use whatever kind you like!
- 1 oz. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- dash of pepper
- hot sauce, to taste
- Italian bread crumbs for the top
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook the macaroni according to the directions, drain and set aside.
- In pot you used to cook the macaroni, melt butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the milk and continue to whisk until it bubbles and thickens.
- Stir in cheese until it is completely melted.
- Add a dash of pepper and hot sauce to taste. I just kept adding the hot sauce and tasting the cheese sauce until it was as spicy as I wanted. Use as little or as much as you like!
- Add the macaroni back into the cheese sauce and stir until combined.
- Spray mini cupcake pan. Fill each hole with the macaroni.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven approximately 15-20 minutes until everything is nicely browned and bubbly.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, and use an offset spatula to remove from pan.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Good thing the Steelers won this week, because now I am one happy girl!! Can't wait for next Sunday! :-)