Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Homemade Granola

I really had meant to include this granola in my Edible Christmas Gift series, but you know how it goes.  My list of things to do during the Christmas season is way too long for the time I have to complete everything.  I really don't know where all my time goes.  I don't work.  I can't since I recently got married (to a Canadian) and I cannot work till all of my Immigration paperwork goes through.  

I would have loved to have this much extra time when I was working.  Now, I feel like my days are baking, cooking dinner, laundry and cleaning.  I know I sound crazy for saying this, because most people work full time and still have to do all these things.  But I have really enjoyed having this free time to do lots of baking and to spend lots of time with my husband.  Also, I feel like I am never in the same place for more than a week or two, since I am still between PA and Canada.  I can't wait till I am in Canada for good!  

Good thing I have this blog to keep me busy!  Thank you all for reading about all the different things I have been making!  I have lots of different ideas for this blog in the new year so I hope you come back again and again to see what I have been up to!

Now, I am not really all about making new years resolutions.  The two things that would come to mind are: eat healthier and exercise more.  But, I love desserts and candy too much.  Cut back maybe, but I cannot and will never cut all the delicious foods I love out of my diet.  I have been eating my vegetables first during dinner so I make sure to get them in though!  Baby steps right?!  Oh, and the exercise part?  I sometimes get into these exercise moods where I exercise for a few days, but then the mood goes away.  I don't know... haha.  I would rather bake something!

I thought Granola would be fitting for my first recipe post of 2012.  The recipe that I am posting can be varied quite a bit to fit your taste.  Switch the dried fruit or nuts and it will still work out great!  I always give granola as part of my gift baskets for Christmas.  Everyone always tells me they love it, and I hope you do too!

Granola

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
  2. Melt butter, honey, oil, brown sugar and vanilla together in a sauce pot over medium heat. 
  3. Combine all of the other ingredients in bowl. 
  4. Once everything has melted together and the mixture starts to bubble, pour over the oat mixture.
  5. Mix until everything is evenly coated.  
  6. Pour onto a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.  
  7. Gently pat down the granola.
  8. Bake for 23 minutes.  *I bake for exactly 23 minutes.  The edges start to lightly brown, but I do not mix the granola up at all when baking. 
  9. Let cool completely.  Once cooled, you will be able to break it up into pieces.
  10. Enjoy as a snack or over yogurt!








I hope you enjoy this tasty and healthy snack!  

What desserts would you like to see made?!  I have a long "To Bake List" but I would love to hear what YOU want to see on here!  Leave me a comment here or on my Facebook page!  

No comments:

Post a Comment