Tuesday, June 12, 2012

National Peanut Butter Cookie Day!


I made these Peanut Butter Cookies for my cousin's high school graduation and then I just found out that it is National Peanut Butter Cookie Day!  What a great time to share my recipe with you!!  

I could eat these cookies all the time!  I am kind of on a peanut butter kick these days.  Especially peanut butter and chocolate!!  So I am also going to show you how can you turn your basic Peanut Butter cookie into a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookie!  You simply just add chocolate chips to the dough and ta da!  You've got Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies!!  I did half and half because I love them both ways.  

I have had people ask me whether adding an extra ingredient into a baked good will still work or if it will ruin the recipe.  You know, the whole "baking is a science and has to be exact" thing.  For the most part, I agree with that.  You can't forget the baking powder or add too much salt and expect it to turn out right.  But, adding something to a recipe like chocolate chips or nuts most likely won't change the outcome for the recipe.  Now, I am saying most likely won't change it.  Every recipe is different, but luckily for us, this recipe is delicious with some extra chocolate chips or peanut bits added in!  

Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • Granulated sugar, as needed
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, optional
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. 
  3. Add the egg, peanut butter and vanilla.
  4. Slowly add the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix until just combined.
  5. If desired, stir in the chocolate chips and/or chopped peanuts.
  6. Form the dough into 2 inch balls, and roll in sugar. 
  7. Place on baking sheet, and gently press down with a fork in a crisscross pattern.  Or if you are making them with chocolate chips/nuts, gently flatten with the palm of your hand.  
  8. Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. 









Everyone needs to have a good Peanut Butter cookie recipe and this one is delicious!  Happy National Peanut Butter Cookie Day... now go bake some cookies!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment