Sunday, June 19, 2011

Welcome to my blog!

Hi everyone!

My name is Annie and I LOVE making desserts!  Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved baking.  My mom is a great baker and I must have inherited that from her!  I remember every December my mom would make Christmas cookies with my sister and me.  She would get out her big wooden board that we would put on the dining room table to roll out to cookie dough.  Then we would go though all her cookie cutters and pick our favorite ones to use.  After they were baked, we would decorate them with color icing and sprinkles (or jimmies as we like to call them in Pittsburgh).  Such great childhood memories!

Now lets fast forward about 15 years.  I was in college majoring in Marketing.  It just didn't seem like the right thing for me.  At the very beginning of the second semester of my junior year, I was sick and missed the first couple weeks of classes.  Obviously very overwhelmed with missing 2 weeks of 5 classes, I decided that it would probably be a good idea to drop a few classes to make it easier for me.  Well... that turned into dropping out of all my classes and taking the semester off.  So I took that time to babysit (that was my job all through college) and save some money.  I was watching TV and saw a commercial for Culinary School.  I thought to myself, that might be fun to do.  I started thinking about it for a couple days and kept it to myself, because I was really unsure if that would be the right decision for me.  So I called the person that I always call to get advice from.  My mom.  To be honest, I think I caught her off guard because at first she wasn't too sure of that idea.  I am sort of a Mama's girl (as you may be able to tell... how many times have I mentioned her already?!) so when she was unsure, it kind of made me think that maybe it wasn't the best thing to do.  But it probably only took her 10 minutes until she called me back and said she thought about it some more, and thinks it would be a great idea!

So I made the big move and went to culinary school!  Loved it!  It taught me SO much and I am very grateful for the amazing education I got there.  It made it even better that I had already gone to college, so many of the credits transferred for those boring classes like math and english.  So I finally graduated, and went to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin to do my externship.  Then after 6 months there, moved back to Pittsburgh and worked in a bread bakery.  Now I am back and forth between Pittsburgh and Canada where my boyfriend lives.


A little something I made in Culinary School!


I have lots of time on my hands, and have really been experimenting with new desserts.  This blog is going to show you all the different things that I will be making!  My first adventure will be royal icing decorated cookies!  Here is a little sneak peak...


ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite was easily the reindeer cookie cutter. I have a similar set these days, and I still make more "Rudolph" cookies than anything else :-)

    ReplyDelete