Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY: Painted Furniture


In the last 6 months or so, I have really gotten into interior design and DIY projects for the home.  I absolutely love Pinterest!  If you have not checked it out yet, you probably need to go straight there, well after you are done on my blog of course!  There are millions of great ideas of there!  I have seen so many DIY/ furniture redo's on there and it inspired me to do one myself.  

Then, I was watching the Nate Berkus show (for all of you who don't know who he is... he has a show about interior design) and there was a lady on there who went to thrift stores and made old pieces new again.  Whether it was painting a piece or completely chopping it apart to make something completely different out of it, it sparked my interest.

I had never gone to a thrift store before, so later that day that's exactly what I did.  I went to the Goodwill and one of the first things I saw was this little night side table.  


Then I saw the price.  I thought it was mislabeled so I had to ask someone to make sure it was the right price!  It cost $4.04!  All the legs were sturdy and there were no defects.  I think maybe a little nick on the top, but I could sand that out!  Besides... it gives the piece some character!  So I bought it and started to refinish it.


I sanded the whole thing to get the shiny finish off so I could paint it. 




Then, I went to the paint store and I bought a little sample paint can in a light pink that cost about $6.  I wanted to be a little crazy with the color, so I got a color that would go nice in the guest room.  Because the hubby probably would not like this pink in the living room or bedroom.  

I painted 2 or 3 coats of paint on and it turned out great!  I barely used 1/3 of the small sample can of paint, so I have lots left over for another project.  


This table only cost me about $6 to make!  $4.04 for the table itself, about $2 for the paint, and I already had the sand paper and paint brushes that I used!  


I loved redoing this table and now I am looking for more finds at local thrift stores.  I just got a side table for the living room and am trying to figure which color to paint it!  




Have you ever refinished a piece of furniture?!  I'd love to hear about it!  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the pink, it goes so well with the nice throw pillow on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those pillows are perfect!! My Mom made them for me :-)

    ReplyDelete