Friday, May 04, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

I don't know about you... but bananas and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations!!  

One of my favorite places to get dessert is the Melting Pot.  I always get the Flaming Turtle chocolate fondue and out of all the yummy dippers they give you, bananas are probably in my top 2 favorites!  I also love the cheesecake, and that's where the icing comes in!

So, a couple summers ago I was babysitting some kids and we wanted to make a dessert.  And this is what we made!  Banana Chocolate Chip bars!!  So yummy!  But it needed a little something extra.  This time, I decided I would make a frosting for the top.  What's better than Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting?!  I am a big lover of making Cream Cheese Frosting.  It is so delicious and easy to make!  

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Ingredient:
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3 mashed bananas
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 oz. chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a mixer or using a hand mixer.
  3. Add the egg, vanilla and bananas and mix until combined.  *I simply put the banana in my hands and squeeze it until it is mashed up.  There is a picture of this below.
  4. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.
  5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  6. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with a non stick spray.
  7. Pour the mixture into the pan and spread out.
  8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
  • 1 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened to room temp.
  • 4 oz. butter (1 stick), softened at room temp.
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa, I used Double Dutch Dark Cocoa, but you can use any kind.
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
Directions:
  1. In bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. 
  2. Add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla, and mix slowly at first until everything is incorporated.  
  3. Then, mix on high for a couple minutes until the frosting is completely combined and light and fluffy.
  4. Spread on a completely cooled cake and enjoy!






Butter and sugars light and fluffy.  


Green eggs from my Mom's chickens!  (They are a brighter green in person, but for some reason they look really light in this picture... I don't know!)


Mashing the bananas in my hand.





Chocolate chips I used.





Butter and cream cheese for frosting.



Mmm... this frosting is SO good!



I served the cake with vanilla ice cream, a cold glass of milk, sliced bananas and some chocolate chips!  


Let me know if you love this recipe as much as I do!!  

I may go have a slice right now!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment