Friday, April 20, 2012

Fast and Easy Mozzarella Sticks & A Roadtrip With The Dog

Hi there!  Last weekend my hubby had to go away for work, and I was headed back to PA after Easter.  Bailey was going to have to go to a kennel for the weekend and neither of us wanted her to go there.  After all, she was a rescue dog and was so sad when she was in the shelter.  She is such a happy dog when shes with us and we didn't want her to think she was going back to the shelter... even if it was just for the weekend.  I think I am turning into a very protective dog Mama!  Haha.  I'm a little crazy...

So I decided I would just bring her home to Pittsburgh with me.  I wasn't too sure if I would even be able to do this since we would be driving over the border.  But after some online research and talking to someone who had done the same thing, I realized I should have no problem taking her with me.  I "doggie proofed" my car.  I put towels down and then put a sheet over the whole back seat.  I wasn't really too worried about my seats getting ruined, but I just wanted to make a nice little cozy place for her back there.  Her smaller bed went back there too.  And of course some toys!

We headed out on our 7 hour drive.  Bailey was really good in the car.  I was a little unsure about how often I would need to stop for her to stretch and go to the bathroom.  So on the way down, we stopped 3 times.  She didn't go to the bathroom once.  I guess she was a little nervous about the long drive.  


The first half of the drive she moved around a lot.  She wasn't too sure what she should do, but started to relax half way through and just laid down and slept most of the way home.  


When I looked back and she was sleeping like this, oh my... My little heart just melted.  She looked so cute!  I know... some of you may be thinking I sound crazy talking like this about a dog, but I don't have kids so she's my baby!


We have to drive on the turnpike for a good hour and a half or two hours.  As soon as you get off, there is a rest stop.  With these "No Pets" signs all over the place.  It was the only rest stop for a couple hours and you can't let your dog out?!  I don't think so...  I parked right in front of the sign and took her out for a walk.  As long as you clean up after your dog and they are on a leash I see no reason for not letting pets get out of the car.  Oh well.  


Once we got off the highway, I was able to open the window because she LOVES sticking her head out of the window.  She probably stood there for the last hour of the drive!  Haha.  You can notice all the drool marks on the window!


Ahhh... finally we got home!  I live out in the country so there were a lot of other animals for Bailey to see and try to chase.  She was on a leash but that didn't stop her from trying to get all the horses!  Here she is barking at the horses going down the road.  



Bailey's favorite thing... trying to catch the birds at the bird feeder!


And her big stick she found... and loved!



We always say that she gets this from me, or that from the hubby.  Well... she hates getting her picture taken just like her dad!  I guess who can blame a dog though... they don't have a clue about pictures!


She loves to jump up on the door when she wants to come inside.  It's so cute!




We made it back to Canada safe and sound a few days later.  She loved having so much room to run in the country though!  And she slept pretty much the whole ride home!  Sorry... I know that was A  LOT of dog pictures!  :-)  

Now for the food....

These Mozzarella sticks are SO easy and fast to make!  And they are only a few ingredients.  

Mozzarella Sticks

Ingredients:
  • 4 string cheese
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • Dash of Paprika
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 can pizza sauce, or tomato sauce of your choice
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions:
  1. Cut the string cheeses in half.
  2. Place bread crumbs and spices in a bowl, mix.  And the egg in another bowl.
  3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat.  Pour the oil in so that it just covers to bottom of the pan.
  4. Dip the cheese sticks in the egg mixture, and then the bread crumb mixture to coat.  Repeat a second time if you like.  
  5. Heat pizza sauce or tomato sauce until hot.  
  6. Fry the mozzarella sticks until golden brown on all sides and remove from pan immediately.
  7. Serve the mozzarella sticks with the sauce while still hot.  
  8. Enjoy!







So delicious and these take 10 minutes or less to make!  This recipe is very easy to double or triple too!  This is such an easy appetizer to make.  We gobbled these up pretty quickly and you will too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment