Saturday, April 21, 2012

DIY- Heart String Art


If you aren't already on Pinterest, you should be!  It basically is a virtual bulletin board.  "Pinterest lets you organize and share all beautiful things you find on the web.  People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes."  -Pinterest

Check out my Pinterest here.  I have all kinds of desserts and food, crafts and DIY projects, beautiful things for the home, party planning ideas and much more on mine.  It also is a great place to get all kinds of ideas for the holidays.  

I found one of these string art projects on there and had to try one myself!  There are unlimited options for making one.  You could make one for a kids room, holiday decoration, or an initial.  A week or so ago, it was my 6 month wedding anniversary, so I wanted to make one that included our wedding date.  So I made a heart and then used a black Sharpie to write our wedding date.  

I found this wooden plaque and string at Michael's.


 I painted it blue and let it dry completely.


Once I decided that I wanted a heart shape, I cut it out of paper and taped it onto the board to show me where to hammer the nails.  I put each nail about 1/2 inch away from each other.  



After I had all the nails in, I removed the paper and started looping the string around the nails.  I went around the heart once and then did a random pattern.  I had to push the string down in some spots where I looped it around that nail multiple times.  



I was going to paint the date on the plaque, but decided that I didn't have a brush that was fine enough.  So I used a black Sharpie marker instead.  I used my KopyKake so that I could use a particular font.  But you can use a stencil and paint or free hand it... whatever works for you!  



I love all the ideas I get from Pinterest.  It is quite addicting and when I get on there, I will sometimes be on for a very long time!  But I love making things I see on there.  I joke that I am going to make so many things that I run out of room to keep them all!  But I love it.  

Are you on Pinterest?!  If so, what fun things have you seen on there that you have made or wanted to?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment