Friday, December 09, 2011

Edible Christmas Gifts #5 Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

It's December and it's gloomy and snowy!  We have yet to get any significant snowfall, but the past couple of days there has been snow on the ground.  It's flurrying right now as I type this.  I love the fall, but absolutely love when Christmas time comes!  My house is decorated but I am still behind on a lot of things!

I still have a pot of mums on my front porch.  Yes, I walk by it everyday and never throw it out.  Then in the back yard, our table and chairs are still out.  I think they will be ok, but we still have the umbrella up!  And that's a job for my husband.  He has been so busy lately with work and lacrosse, so he has not really had extra time for "chores" around the house.  This weekend we have nothing planned, which is very unusual for us, so hopefully we can get all that done!  Please tell me that I am not the only one who slacks a bit when the weather turns cold and all you want to do is be inside your nice warm house and bake cookies!

Which brings me to my next Edible Christmas Gift idea!  I make a lot of sugar cookies to decorate with royal icing, but I wanted to make something different.  These have chocolate and peppermint in them!  Yum!  These make great gifts because they will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks and they are so easy to wrap!  Also good for Cookie Exchange parties!

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Ingredients
  • 4 oz dark chocolate chips
  • 2 cups (10 oz.) flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) sugar
  • 1/2 cup (4 oz) oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 15-20 small candy canes, crushed  (place candy canes in ziploc bag and crush with the bottom of a metal measuring cup or rolling pin)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave.  Let cool slightly.
  3. In mixer, beat eggs and sugar until well blended.
  4. Add the oil, vanilla and melted chocolate until combined.
  5. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and crushed candy canes.  Gradually add to chocolate mixture, mixing just until combined.
  6. Stir in the milk chocolate chips.
  7. Roll into balls about 1 1/2 -2 inches.  Even space them on the baking sheet lined with a silpat, or parchment paper.
  8. Gently press down on the dough so they flatten out a bit.  This helps the cookies to bake evenly.
  9. Bake 10-12 minutes or until done.  













Once completely cooled, stack them in a plastic treat bag and tie with a ribbon.  Great way to give these cookies as a gift!  Or package them in a box or on a platter!  Enjoy!  

I am just finishing up some Christmas sugar cookies, so I hope to share them with you soon!  

Leave me a comment and tell me what the weather is like where you live!  Is it cold and snowy, or sunny and mild?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment