Thursday, December 01, 2011

Edible Christmas Gifts #4 Peppermint Bark Trees

Happy December!!!  

Feels like I have not posted on here in forever!  The past couple of weeks have been very busy for me.  I went to visit my sister and brother in law in Boston for Thanksgiving.  Normally, my mom does Thanksgiving every year.  But my sister just bought a new house in the past year and wanted to have it at her house this year.  Unfortunately, my parents were unable to make it to Boston as planned because my Gramma was in the hospital.  Sadly, Wednesday night my Gramma passed away.  So immediately after being in Boston, I had to go back to Pittsburgh for her funeral. Now I am back in Canada, but I have to go back home to Pittsburgh next week.  So I have had very little time for any baking or blogging!  

But I am back now and want to share with you my next Edible Christmas Gift!  

When I was in college, I was watching either Paula Deen or Ina Garten on the Food Network and they made Peppermint Bark for Christmas.  I made it for my family that year and everyone loved it, so I have been making it every year ever since!  

This year, I wanted to switch it up a bit.  I saw on Pinterest someone made Peppermint Bark in a snowflake mold.  It looked so nice and extra special.  I couldn't find similar snowflake molds, but I did find these great tree molds by Wilton!  


They are the perfect size for individual Peppermint Barks!  They are so easy to make too!

Peppermint Bark

Ingredients
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed candy canes

Directions
  1. Melt the dark chocolate slowly in the microwave or over a bain marie.  
  2. Once melted, pour melted chocolate into a plastic piping bag.  You can also use a ziploc bag and cut off a small hole at one of the bottom corners.
  3. Pipe a small amount of chocolate in the mold, enough to cover the bottom.  Once you have filled all the molds, tap on the counter to make sure everything is smooth and there are no air bubbles.
  4. Place in the refrigerator to set.
  5. Melt the white chocolate.
  6. Crush the candy canes into small pieces.  I used small candy canes that were in a small "bag" (see below) instead of "shrink wrapped".  This way, I could use a metal measuring cup to crush the candy canes.  
  7. Repeat step 3 with the white chocolate.  Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the melted white chocolate.  Refrigerate to set, at least 3 hours.
  8. Once set, pop out of molds and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment