Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Caramel Apples

For my wedding, I had all these great ideas for different things I could make for favors.  I had just gotten all these new wedding cookie cutters, so I had some great ideas for different cookies I could make.  

Story of my life... SO many ideas, SO little time!

Then, I got sick!  The week before our wedding, both my husband and I were sick.  

Ohhh great... I thought.  Just what I need.  I have lots of little last minute things to do for the wedding, and I don't have time for being sick.  He got better in just a few days.  Not me.  I had to miss Canadian Thanksgiving the weekend before the wedding.  

All those cookie ideas went out the window.  Cookies take days to make!  From baking the cookies, and icing the base of the cookies.  Then, letting that dry.  Next are the details.  Let them dry.  Then, the next day... bag them up.  AT LEAST 2 days, but probably 3.  

By the end of the week I was starting to feel a little better.  My Mother in Law said maybe I should look into buying caramel apples to give out.  Hmm... I had to figure out how to make them.  I didn't need to buy them!  So, I found out how to make the caramel apples, and then I went to the store to buy the apples and caramel.

Caramel Apples 
1- 14 oz bag of caramels
2 Tbsp. water
6-8 Granny Smith apples, remove the stems
Cookie sticks (you can find them at Michael's or Karen's Cookies

1. Wash and dry the apples.

2.  Push the cookie sticks 3/4 of the way into the top of apple where the stem was.  (Tip: after a few apples, my hands started to hurt.  I took a metal measuring cup and used it as a "hammer".  Just gently tap the stick until it goes in 3/4 of the way)

3.  Unwrap the caramels (yes... this is the most time consuming part!) and put into a pot.  Choose a pot that is deep enough that you can dip the apples into it, but one that is not too wide.  I used one that is 2 1/2 quarts.

4. Add the water to the pot and melt the caramels over low heat.  Stir constantly.  At the beginning I used a spatula to stir the pot.  Once the caramels started to melt, I started using a whisk.  Use whatever works best for you!

5.  Once the caramels are completely melted, dip the apple in and use a spoon it cover in caramel. (roll in any additional toppings like crushed nuts or chocolate candies that you wish)

6. Place on a baking sheet with a silpat or lined with parchment paper.  

7. Once all the apples are dipped, place in the refrigerator so the caramel can set, at least 2 hours.  Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  They are best if you eat them in the first 3-4 days.  But I have heard that you can keep them in the fridge for around a week.

8. Wrap in a plastic bag if you wish.  



Apples taking a bath in the sink.


Putting the sticks in the top of the apple.


Covering the apple in melted caramel.


All of the apples are covered!


Caramel Apples!


At my wedding dinner, I didn't get a chance to take too many pictures, but I found one with a caramel apple in it.  I wrapped them in plastic bags and tied them with purple or green ribbon.  Oh, and this picture happens to have my AMAZING bouquet.  I wish it would stay looking like that forever!  I have it drying upside down in the basement, so we will see what it ends up looking like.  My flowers were one of my favorite things of the wedding!  I still have a centerpiece in my living room a week and a half later!  A couple roses are starting to wilt, but most of it still looks nice!  

I told my husband that he needs to get the same exact flowers every year for our anniversary.  We will see!  

Make some caramel apples!  Super easy and so delicious!  

No comments:

Post a Comment