Monday, September 17, 2012

Game Day Recipes: Spicy Mac 'n Cheese Cups


Every Sunday in the Fall, you can find me sitting on the couch with my Terrible Towel watching the Steelers play.  I am a Pittsburgh girl and I love football.  And you can't have a game day without some snacks!  So I know I am a bit late as this past weekend was already week 2, but I am going to be sharing my favorite Game Day Recipes with you each week.  

This weekend, the hubby had just gotten back from a work trip and Saturday was spent finishing up the kitchen.  Sunday rolled around and he was run down and not feeling too great.  He loves Kraft Mac 'n Cheese.  And I hate it.  I mean... I don't even think it tastes good, and it certainly is not good for you!  It's kind of a joke around here, but anytime I am away he likes to make it.  Because he knows when I am around I won't make it for him.  

So when I was in the kitchen putting together these Spicy Mac 'n Cheese Cups, he yelled into the kitchen "Smells like Kraft dinner!".  At that point I was just boiling the noodles, so it probably did smell like that.  I just yelled back to him "You're right!"  He obviously thought I was joking, so when he came into the kitchen to see the making of Mac 'n Cheese on the counter, he was very pleased.  :-)   Ahhh... I love being a wife!

Spicy Mac 'n Cheese Cups
makes 20-24 mini cups

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup elbow macaroni
  • 4 1/2 oz. cheese, shredded, I used Colby Jack but use whatever kind you like!
  • 1 oz. butter
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • dash of pepper
  • hot sauce, to taste
  • Italian bread crumbs for the top
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Cook the macaroni according to the directions, drain and set aside.
  3. In pot you used to cook the macaroni, melt butter and whisk in the flour.  Cook for 1 minute.
  4. Stir in the milk and continue to whisk until it bubbles and thickens.
  5. Stir in cheese until it is completely melted.
  6. Add a dash of pepper and hot sauce to taste.  I just kept adding the hot sauce and tasting the cheese sauce until it was as spicy as I wanted.  Use as little or as much as you like!
  7. Add the macaroni back into the cheese sauce and stir until combined.
  8. Spray mini cupcake pan.  Fill each hole with the macaroni. 
  9. Top with bread crumbs.
  10. Bake in the oven approximately 15-20 minutes until everything is nicely browned and bubbly.  
  11. Let cool for a couple minutes, and use an offset spatula to remove from pan.  
  12. Serve immediately and enjoy!









Good thing the Steelers won this week, because now I am one happy girl!!  Can't wait for next Sunday!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment