Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bananas Foster Bread Pudding


I. could. eat. this. everyday.

Right after I was done with Culinary School, I went out to Wisconsin to work at a resort for my externship.  A dessert we made for one of the restaurants was Bananas Foster Bread Pudding.  Oh my gosh.  That is where bread pudding became one of my favorite desserts!  So this is my twist on the recipe.  

Anytime I have leftover bread, I love to make bread pudding!  Then top it off with a delicious syrup.  Unbelieveable.

Bananas Foster Bread Pudding

Ingredients:
  • 8 slices french bread, a few days old, 1 inch cubed
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Spray an 8x8 pan.
  3. Put the cubed pieces of bread in the pan, sprinkle with brown sugar, butter pieces, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Mix until it is evenly distributed.  
  4. In medium bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together.
  5. Gradually add the milk, cream and vanilla to egg mixture.
  6. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the bread.  Use a fork to push down all the bread pieces so the egg mixture gets soaked up.  
  7. Let sit for 15-20 minutes so the egg mixture is totally soaked up before baking.
  8. Bake uncovered for about 40-45 minutes, or until the top puffs up and springs back when touched. 
  9. Serve warm with syrup and banana slices on top.  Garnish with a strawberry.
Syrup

Ingredients:
  • 2 oz. butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup Banana flavored Malibu Rum (or a mixture of Banana liquor and Rum)
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepot.  
  2. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; whisk and cook until it melts together.
  3. Add the rum and vanilla.  It will bubble up.  Once it bubbles, cook for about 2 minutes to make sure everything is completely combined.
  4. Cool slightly and pour over warm bread pudding.  
  5. ENJOY!






Baked Bread Pudding right out of the oven!






I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!  

I have a long running list of desserts that I want to make for this blog.  What desserts would YOU like to see on here?!  What recipes are you wanting to try but never get around to making?!  

Tell me!  I love to hear from you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment